There are many benefits to being a part of a track & field club, and there are also many factors that you should consider before making that decision such as what your goals are and how much of a commitment you are willing to make.
Maybe you have been consistently one of the top runners at your elementary school meets. Maybe you would like to become a better or a faster runner. Maybe you can run up and down the soccer field or the basketball court or someone has suggested that you should try track.
Most schools only do track from March to June (or sometimes only April-May). But track clubs generally operate year-round. A lot of times parents want to get their kids in a club in the Spring but this is a little late. In order to truly set them up for a great season they should start laying the foundation earlier. In Canada, we have indoor track and field in the winter meaning that athletes are able to practice and compete all year.
So why join a track & field club?
1. Meet New Friends — Being a part of a club is a great way to meet other athletes with similar interests and goals. You will become teammates and training partners and make new friends that you would have never otherwise met!
2. Discipline — Training with a track club several times a week and following structured workouts is a great way to lay a foundation for disciplined training. Consistent work throughout the season is what pays off in the end and helps your reach your goals.
3. Reach Your Potential — Club coaches have the right tools to be successful, including the experience, the knowledge, the availability of equipment, and the ability to create meaningful and individualized programming to suit your needs. Joining a club will help you develop your skills as an athlete in your event and help you progress towards your goals.
4. Life Skills — Track can be a metaphor for life. There are ups and downs. Through track you will learn useful skills that will help prepare you for success in life. These skills include mental toughness, perseverance, dedication, leadership, teamwork, among many others.
5. Supplementary Training — If you also participate in other sports, track is a wonderful way to supplement your training- especially if it falls during the off-season of your other sport. When athletes improve their speed, endurance, strength, power through track, they are only going to benefit in their other sports. We are committed to working with you to achieve a balance of training that is right for the individual athlete!
6. Improve Your Fitness — Our indoor and outdoor season training programs begin with general fitness and conditioning. In just a few weeks (6-8 weeks) you'll be amazed by the difference you see if you stick with consistent training and follow the program.
7. Competition Experience — Being part of a club opens up a whole new world of competitions besides the elementary or high school track meets. For athletes in grade 8 and under, especially, there are a ton of meets available to you. Competing regularly allows you to measure your progress and build your comfort level in competitive situations.
8. Recruiting — We provide assistance to athletes who aspire to continue their track/ cross country career after high school. We are experienced in the recruiting process and can help get you on the right track to finding the right university and collegiate track program.
9. It's fun!
We are excited by the growing interest in track and field from kids and parents alike. We encourage everyone to be a part of a track club. We pride ourselves on being "A Club for all Athletes" but we also encourage you to find a club that is best for you and that you feel comfortable with. We can also make other recommendations. Please feel free to contact us at any time if you have any questions!